Here is a message from our District Nursing Team:
Aims of the service:
We aim to provide high quality nursing care to people in their own homes, who are unable to attend their GP surgery through illness or disability, not transport problems. We aim to promote independence and a healthy lifestyle.
What to expect:
Our staff wear navy or green uniforms and an NHS blue logo with their name on. They will also say who they are when they first call. They have identity badges that they will produce on request. All information is treated confidentially with the team.
How do I get to see a District Nurse?
You can be referred by:
You, your family and friends can contact the District Nurses direct at their local office-St Barnabas Hospital, Direct line:01752 679020.
What we do:
We specialise in:
- Helping people regain their full potential
- Chronic Disease Management
- Pre and Post Operative Care
- Assessing and planning shared care with Social Services, to help people stay at home and keep their independence.
- Assessing for and providing equipment that will help you and your carers at home in partnership with other professionals.
- Care of those with terminal illness Care of the dying
- Wound care
- Treating leg ulcers
- Promoting and assessing incontinence in adults
District Nurses work closely with other Community Health Care Staff. Together we form a Primary Health Care Team, this includes:
- Your GP Social services
- Macmillan and Marie Curie Nurses
- Health Visitors
- Specialist Nurses, such as Rehabilitation Team, Dietician, Tissue viability, Diabetes Support Nurse, Parkinson’s Specialist Nurse
- Continence Adviser
- Voluntary Agencies
Working together, we aim to ensure you get the care and help you require. The District Nursing Team is headed by a registered Nurse, who has undertaken additional training specific to this area of nursing.
Patient held records:
We like our patients to be closely involved in all aspects of their care and encourage them to keep their records at home. There is a place in these records for other Health Care Staff to use. This helps us all to work together. If you are admitted to hospital, see your GP, or attend an outpatient appointment, please take your record with you. You must give your permission before anyone can see your record.
How you can help us:
Arrange to return any equipment once you have finished using it by telephoning 01752 857452 or leaving a message at the surgery, 0844 477 3008. Patients who receive continence pads may only alter their order through the District Nurse. Please inform us if you are overstocked.